Monday, June 29, 2015

A LESSON BY CHANCE - my first 10-minute play as a playwright

So, there was this one time when I wrote a little play...(it was back in 2010, I think?)

It was written by me, memorized by actors, directed, and then performed in front of an audience ALL WITHIN 24 HOURS. Crazy, huh? But we did it!!

The purpose of a 24-hour/10-minute play project is to force yourself to get creative under pressure. We (the playwrights) all had to arrive punctually at a designated place to receive our randomly chosen prop(s) and be assigned to our team of actors. My prop was a ceramic pug! I knew right away that I wanted my play to be a zany family comedy with heart. The premise was about two completely different sisters - the older responsible one vs. the younger free-spirited one - and their lovably eccentric grandfather who raised them (at least until older sister took over.) At the center of the dysfunctional family chaos is Chance - their deceased pet pug who's been stuffed. The play alternates from heated discussions between the sisters to interludes of ceremonial eulogies (led by Grandfather) in honor of Chance, and in its own unique way, this quirky tradition holds the little family together.

It may not have been much, but it was the first time I wrote something creative to be performed in front of an adult group of thespian peers! I was fairly proud of it. Several people came up to me afterwards to tell me mine was the audience favorite! (SMILES) I've been trying for a while now to find the script that I wrote and have not as yet been successful, but I haven't given up trying! In the meantime, though, here are a few pics showing my brilliant cast performing, and lastly, a pic of me with them on stage during talkback! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment